Seach this website
Department at a Glance
The department of Botany was established along with Zoology as Department of Biology in 1948. The Department of Biology flourished under the headship of Ms. B. Joshua. This department was awarded with 'STAR DEPARTMENT' by UGC, New Delhi under CPE Programme in November - 2011.
The teaching of B.Sc. course in Botany was started in 1966. ¬†B.Sc. (Hons) classes started only in 1976. Post graduate classes started in 1986 with Plant Pathology & Experimental Taxonomy as special papers. Post graduate course functioned smoothly till 1997. Prof. (Dr.) Sumedha Kathuria is the present Head of the department. The department is selected as the star department under the CPE scheme of the UGC in Sept 2011.
The results have been excellent and department has produced many toppers in Honours and P.G. level examinations. Many students of the Department have competed in medical entrance exams and now they are renowned doctors. Majority of the students opt for higher studies in Botany, Bio-technology, and Bio-Chemistry. As part of extension activities department encourages students to work towards environment awareness and protection under the banner of ‚ÄúGreen Earth Brigade (GEB)‚ÄĚ. The GEB organizes special lectures, seminars and workshops regularly to promote awareness about environmental issues. A workshop on ‚ÄúPollution and Public Health‚ÄĚ was organized on November 29 ‚Äď 30, 2011. Students of the department are also encouraged to participate in science seminars and conferences. Teachers of the department escort the students to various programmes on science and science related issues. Students attended the National Conference on ‚ÄėDevelopment of Agriculture in Bihar 2011‚Äô on the theme ‚ÄúA farmer‚Äôs journey from field to industry‚ÄĚ on 23rd & 24th September 2011.